Skip to main content

Beating the Summer Heat

This post is part of a Blogger Link-Up series hosted by Beauty And The Pitch (BATP), through the Houston Fashion Bloggers group.

It's been about a month since the official start of summer, and I'm sure everyone has been struggling to find ways to beat the heat. BATP wanted us to share our secrets to a bearable if not fun summer, so here are five of my current summertime must-haves.

1. A solid playlist
I usually have two or three summertime playlists, one for driving or walking around Montrose, one for working out, and one for chilling with a book in one hand and an iced coffee in the other. My music taste ranges from indie to hip hop, r&b to edm... in English, Korean and Vietnamese... Here's a sample of some of my favorites!




2. Cold drinks: Cafe Sua Da (Vietnamese Iced Coffee) 
Ice cold water is the best way to beat the heat but sometimes you just need a boost of caffeine or crave a sugary drink that's not dehydrating like soda. If you haven't heard of cafe sua da, then you have honestly been living under a rock, probably. This Vietnamese-French concoction has been hitting the menus at almost every coffee shop, and also the shelves of Central Market all over Texas in a bottled form labeled Caphin. Brewed properly, cafe sua da is sweet, strong and smooth, all at once. My drink of choice to wake myself up on a hot day.
...



3. Floppy hat
SPF lotion of some sort should already be on your summer must-have list, but floppy hats are a great way to take facial protection the extra mile. They keep your head cool but also allow some breeze because they're not knit, and the extra wide brims provide the most coverage for your face.
Brittney Xu (former 6100 Main blogger!) modeling her Marleylilly hat

4. The FaceShop Tea Tree Acne Cleanser, Toner and Spot Corrector
My skin is very oily and also much more prone to breaking out in the summer if I'm not careful about cleansing my face. This cleanser and toner smell great and are pretty hydrating. While the cleanser doesn't seem to exfoliate much, it does clear off any makeup I missed and paired with the toner, keeps my pores tightened and the acne away. The spot corrector does exactly as it is named: corrects the one or two spots (minor breakouts) within one or two nights. I always make sure I have at least two of these in my cabinet in case I run out of one.
My set, which I've only replaced once in the past year. 


5. Slides 
Slide on sandals are the trend of the season, whether it be some type of Birkenstock, criss-cross Madewell slides, or any other brand of sandal of similar design. I got a pair of slides from J.Crew because they were holographic silver (easiest way to make an outfit more fun) and fifty percent off. How could I not get them? They're not as comfortable as Birkenstocks but they're cute and I don't slip, so they're perfect for carelessly kicking around on the beach or walking around the Village. You've seen them in almost all of my ootd's since I got them, and will probably continue seeing them until the ground here freezes over.
Birkenstock flats sandals/Breckelle's breckelles sandals/Forever 21 vegan footwear/J Crew slip on flat




As part of the blogger link up, here are the other contributors to this blog theme. Check out what their secrets to summer are!
Rosiemay           
Fairyburger        
In The Loop       
Suite 6Ten          
My L(e)onely Planet      
Native Texan Livin'         
The Pace             
AMtoPM            
Lipstick and Brunch        
New Key Beauty             

Comments

  1. Love it! I need an iced-coffee after reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had Vietnamese iced coffee in about a billion years. :[ Looks so good! <3 + very much agreed with you! There's nothing like a good summer playlist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music and floppy hats are def key!! Thanks for participating xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that monogram floppy hat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been hearing a lot about those Vietnamese Iced Coffees lately & how they're the best thing ever! Definitely gonna have to try one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cafe sua da drinks sound amazing! I wonder if they have crossed over to NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried Skin Food's Peach Sake line and, if you have, how does it rate against The Face Shop's Clean Face? Also, I wish I had all the floppy hats but my face shape doesn't really make it a flattering look. haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this blog mentioned in the newest Rice Thresher and had to check it out. I work at Rice and have my own blog called Morning Ink and was excited to learn that Rice fashion is being represented! Consider me a new loyal reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leah! I believe I've come across your blog before, possibly through Houston Fashion Bloggers? But thank you so much for your support!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Most Loved Pieces This Fall

HI everyone! Now that we're starting our second round of midterms and well into the Fall Semester, Thu and I thought we would share some of our most loved trends this fall. Except Houston's weather is so warm it's still basically summer... Hope you enjoy! Julia I've gotten really into structured and oversized fits this season, so this is pretty much the epitome of that. I love to pair oversized pieces with even more oversized ones, just so I can get that lewk without trying much at all. These pieces are all pretty minimal, so if you see me around campus I'll probably be in at least one of these pieces here. Coincidentally, the whole outfit is from Aritzia - I highly recommend checking their website out!  - but culottes and oversized tops are so on trend now, I'm pretty sure you can find similar pieces at H&M, Zara and even Forever21. Jacket: Aritzia ( here ) | Blouse: Aritzia ( here ) | Culottes: Aritzia ( here ) | Shoes: Sam Edel

Michael Awalt

Name: Michael Awalt College: Hanszen '16 Major: Architecture  Favorite Decade: I don't try to find inspiration from the past, but if I could pick one, it would probably be the 80s. The 80s seem awesome. #1 Fashion Do:  "Guys, the best rule of thumb for what you are wearing is to have one truly bold item per outfit - nothing more. Don't make your outfit a competition within itself. If you're looking to add color, try a vibrant solid color shirt with a pair of black, white, gray, or dark wash jeans. Another way to add color is through pants. Many stores are starting to carry colored denim now and the variety is endless. Don't cop-out on the color though-- get something bright and vibrant. Be sure to wear something very subtle with the pants though, and don't be too coordinated with the pants or its starts too look tacky. And don't get orange pants. Just don't." #1 Fashion Don't:  Those toe-shoe things. What the hell are p

DIY: Workout Tank

Wondering what to do with your old Beer Bike shirts? Stuck with leftover College Night tees? Why not turn them into workout tanks---perfect to wear to the gym while you're working toward that swimsuit body. Start with an old t-shirt (the bigger the shirt, the baggier the fit of the tank. 1) Cut from under the arm holes to the shoulder . Make sure the actual "straps" are cut straight (although you can customize their placement and width). Now, make a u-shape from one side of the collar to the other. The deepness of the U can depend on how much of the print on the front that you want to preserve. Lastly, cut the bottom seam off ; the cut can be wider in the middle of the shirt (especially if you want a cropped fit in front). 2) Turn the shirt over and make the racerback shape skinnier by cutting out more of the sides. 3) Take the extra cut-off from the bottom of the shirt and slice it into one long strand . 4) Using this strand, tie a knot at the